Thursday, January 21, 2010

Wait, Kate, wait!

I am so over Kate Gosselin. I really wanted to be on her side. When I started watching the show, it had been on for over a year. As often happens, I came across this show during one of the many repeat seasons that seem to be getting more frequent and longer the older I get. I have several channels I go to when this happens – BRAVO, TLC, HGTV, E! and most recently the Style Network. I was truly charmed by this real family. They had struggles. They fought. They never made it look easy, yet they seemed to have a lot of love for each other and their children. The thing I liked about it the most was that I always felt challenged after watching to do more for my children. Now, that is irony! As anyone with eyes now knows, love apparently wasn’t enough. I don’t think it is my right to judge who went wrong in this tragic story, but I can say I felt more for Kate. That was until now. The straw that broke this camel’s back was the $7,000, 20 hour hair extensions. Did no one tell her hair does actually grow on its own? Just because you have enough money to do something doesn’t mean you should do it. I am hoping it is just because she wants to make Jon regret leaving her, so it was an impulse buy. I’m going to stick with this.

One of the tragic victims from the show was the note card bible quotes placed in their house in the first few seasons. What happened to them? Did they fall down, or was a conscious decision to pull them down made? If so, do you think a conversation corresponded or one spouse just didn’t even notice their disappearance? I don’t know which would be more tragic.

I have had these bible note cards on my extensive to-do list for awhile now. It actually started when my friend Melisa started a list of her own and made note cards she placed in her shower. I thought this was genius, but I am not known for frequent showering, so I wasn’t sure placing them in my shower would be very effective. Melisa’s goal was memorization. I just wanted a constant, daily reminder of things God has told me that really struck a cord. When I saw how Jon & Kate had theirs all over, I liked it. Plus, it would be a great presence for my kids. Here come the hurdles. I wanted them to be cute, so I had this great idea of decorating them. Of course, then I had to pick my quotes. I got Melisa’s list and started modifying it. I have real issues with starting things I don’t finish, and I didn’t want this to be one of those things. Solution – don’t start! That sounds callous, but it is the simplest way of stating what happened. I have read a lot of self-help books and read articles and researched on-line and watching TV programs. I know that you have to start with baby steps. I know that making realistic, accomplishable goals is the key. But I have stopped starting for fear of not finishing. When I start thinking about one of the many projects I would love to work on, I get overwhelmed by the number of projects on that list. I have a hard time picking one over another. They are all dear to me. A lot of people say watching too much TV is not good for you. However, I think for me it often provides the best advice. A very wise tennis show advertiser once said, “Just do it!” Were they talking to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment