Thursday, January 14, 2010

The birth of a book....

So I have often wanted to write a book. So why haven’t I? It is an excellent question whose answer reveals a lot about me. I have so many ideas and no focused passion about any of them.

I have thought of a fictional story inspired by the genealogy of my family. I love genealogy and history. It would be a female driven Michneresque novel. That sounds like a lot of work, and I get overwhelmed and defeated.

I have thought of writing a book based on the struggles and questions I have had about Christianity – an every woman’s theology. But am I qualified? Who am I to speak on such important topics?

What about a book about relationships? I have so struggled with relationships, and I know I am not alone.

Or maybe a children’s book. Here are my titles: Even Monsters Have Mothers, Dinosaurs Love Their Mothers, Too, You Can’t Eat Cookies with a Fork. That is as far as I’ve gotten. I do have an art directory – my cousin Jake. I have tried to get him to do the art before I write the book, but I guess that isn’t quite fair.

I would love to do a book about my opinions, but I guess that is just a blog in print. I have lots of opinions on everything. They drive me crazy. I have opinions on restaurants, desserts, books, soup, bread, fast food, movies, etc. I wish someone would pay me to be a reviewer, but I guess you have to have some sort of credentials.

My favorite idea is a compilation book with my friend Melisa. It could be conversational or letter driven. It would be based on the things we have struggled with, wondered about, laughed over. Unfortunately, Melisa suffers from some of the same disorders I do – thinking and doing are not always connected. Then there is the fact that she is a real writer, and I am just a housewife just dying to have something to do with my time.

The weird thing is, though, that Melisa and I both have this strong feeling inside us of greatness. We both know we have been very blessed by God, and we just know that these gifts have to have a greater purpose than just late night conversations. I read books and watch shows about people who have accomplished incredible things, and I have tried to figure out what the difference is. I think I lack passion. Is that my fault or is it that I haven’t found the proper focus for my passion? Do I lack stick-to-it-iveness? Maybe it is the brown haired, blue-eyed aliens that are climbing all over me at this very second. No, I am not hallucinating. These are my children, so I must go before something crazy happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment