Saturday, January 9, 2010

Teachers know best...

When I was in formal schooling, we were often called on to journal. I hated it. It just seemed to have no purpose. What were you to write about? Why were we writing? What would become of our writing? I don’t like things without purpose. By purpose I think I mean audience. My teachers often hinted that it was therapeutic and a great creativity stimulator, but I really didn’t buy into it. Kids, trust your teachers. They really do know a thing or two.

For years now I have wanted to journal. Many people in the Christian and psychotherapy circles vouch for the huge benefits of journaling. Because my mind is often spinning, I have begun to see the purpose, but I think one of my hurdles has again been what will come of it. Of course, I can see how it would be good for me, but that hasn’t seemed to be enough of a reason (issue #721). I have many times in my life wanted to write a book about something, and I have often seen journaling as an excellent vehicle in that journey. However, how do you ever make sense of one’s ramblings? This new fangled blogging may be a solution to that. Bonus number 2 to blogging is that it feels more real. There is a chance of an audience. There is the ability to create an interactive process. There is a built-in purpose.

So my blog is mainly a journal. Is that what most blogs are? I guess I should research that. The difference is that there is built-in some accountability. People you know and love know if you aren’t following through with your blog or if you quit it. Also, what you write has to be reviewed and edited. You can’t really just ramble. Well, I guess you could, but it is much more productive if there is a thought process involved. Am I over thinking this? Probably.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's ironic that we were both teachers and the title is teachers know best and yet you're not tooting your own teacher horn. You know I'm a huge fan of journaling and I'm an even bigger fan of "Morning Pages".

    So, wanna write a book together? That didn't take long. You're second post and already I'm asking you to write a book with me. :) Seriously, after yesterday's conversation I bet we could do it. Wanna?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I just posted a sort of answer to "do I wanna write a book together?" Hell yes! Now that the hard part is out of the way, let's just do it. Who wants to be incharge? It is funny because I think we are both leaders but neither of us like to take charge yet we often take charge because others fail to. What does that say about us? Do we secretly desire to be incharge but don't want to look pushy? Or is it all a minipulation to get someone to ask us to help? This is deep. We need a structure or a deadline or something. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete