Wednesday, March 10, 2010

4-1/2 Stars....

So, I have been introduced to a very awesome site for anyone who loves books....www.booksneeze.com. From this site, you can choose books that the publisher will send you free of charge if you will publish a review online. Well, what a dream come true! Not only do I get a book, but I also get to share my opinions.

The first book I have received is The Flowering Cross by Beth Ryan. I really enjoyed this book. It is a nice story about a little girl and her family who befriend their grumpy neighbor. It is full of scripture quotes that a parent can use with their children to instruct them on some key bible lessons. It is a wonderful conversation starter in this way. In addition and by far what I consider the book's greatest attribute, it includes an activity that can be done with your child or a group of children during Easter. I love that it includes an activity and that it give instructions including a blueprint. This is not found in many books.

Here is the other side. I must include a disclaimer. I LOVE books. I own 100's, maybe even 1,000's. I have everything from children's books to resource manuals. I like happy books and sad books, fiction to non-fiction, romance to sci-fi. That being said I am a pretty tough judge. So, I am going to be picky. The story was good, but I had a little trouble at the beginning. I had a little trouble getting into it because I wanted more backstory first. Yes, I know it is a children's book, but I wanted to get to know the neighbor and THEN get into how the family befriended him.

All that being said, I give the book 4-1/2 stars. Now, this is another bone I have to pick with the reviewing community. Why do they only give us 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 stars? I very rarely fit into those categories. I want more half stars. I just couldn't give this book 5 stars because it isn't on the level of the classic children's books. However, it is really good. It is way above just a 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment